How wonderful to be in the hands of the living God. It is the adventure of a lifetime! ~Corrie Ten Boom

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

My Journey to Seattle Pacific University and the beginning of an epic adventure!

It happened by accident really, at least in my mind it did. However, nothing ever happens by chance for a child of God. My dearest friend had left for college that fall, and my dad and I drove up to Seattle from my hometown of Vancouver, Washington to visit her. We pulled up to this small University hidden on Queen Anne Hill. It was quaint and charming. The old brick buildings were exploding with character. The massive oak trees standing straight and tall like soldiers all over the campus. The trees were overflowing with autumn’s hues. The leaves were dancing in the crisp breeze only to make their final bow by landing gracefully on the simple concrete pathway zigzagging its way throughout the school. The pathway was daring me to continue to follow. I was immediately enchanted by this school.


It was the beginning of my junior year and colleges were pressuring me to come visit their campus. That summer, I had visited countless Christian universities in California (where I was certain I wanted to move to) and not a single colleges caught my eye. I also had the revelation that Heidi Johnson and California were not even close to a perfect match.

There is no denying that I am a Northwest Girl. I was born and raised in Portland, Oregon (a 3 hour drive south on 1-5 from Seattle). I love that there is a coffee shop on every corner. I feel at home when I walk the misty streets of Portland. There is a casual swagger of the artsy, hippie, nature freaks that reside there. Portland will always be the town that will forever hold a piece of my heart. I love long hikes in the evergreen forests with my friends and skiing on the surrounding mountains standing as mighty protectors of the Northwest. I love reading on lazy, rainy Sunday afternoons by an oversized window. I love how everyone is so friendly and are not always in a rush. I love NorthFace rain jackets, running in the rain, and really good coffee. If I was going to leave home for the first time—I had to stay in the Northwest.

Here I was, at Seattle Pacific University. The presence of this place was consuming. I belonged here. It hit me like a ton of bricks. This was my second home. Not only did I feel at home at this campus but I strongly felt God moving in and around this campus. (Now keep in mind I had only been on campus for a minute or two) I looked around and noticed that every lamp post boldly proclaimed, “The place where world change begins” and “Engaging the Culture, Changing the World”. I was dumbfounded. This cannot be real, I thought.

Since my freshman year in high school, I made my life motto “Changing the world one heart at a time”. I barely was able to say, “Dad…this school—this is the one”.

*   *   *   *   *

With anything that seems almost too good to be true, there was a catch. This dream school has a price tag of $41,000 a year. Nevertheless, God has been providing even when I didn’t realize it. I am in a program where I go to community college starting my junior year full time and receive college and high school credit. This program saved me two years of college.

Do not let money be the roadblock that keeps you from following God’s will in your life. God funds what He favors. If it is God’s will, it is God’s bill. These are some of the promises God has been asking me to hold on to. I am close to going to Seattle Pacific University without having to take out any student loans. I know that God is going to provide all the finances I need to make this happen. I will make sure to let you know when and how that happens!

Next fall, I will be living in my second home. I will be a Seattle Pacific Falcon. I am excited to start as a junior majoring in Communications and a minor in Worship and Music Ministry.

I promised my family and friends, I would make my choice official on my blog and give a little backstory to my choice. However, it is not my decision. God has made it extremely clear and obvious that this is where He is calling me. I have begun to dream about my dorm room and pray for my future roommate. Thank you for all your prayers and support while I was praying through this decision. Your prayers were felt and your support was encouraging.

1 comment:

  1. Heidi,
    Thanks so much for sharing this Blog with us. It is absolutely awesome! Your are indeed an incredible young woman and you have your priorities established and "your head on straight!" We are so proud of you and what you have done in your short life time. I know your entire family is very proud of you,too - especially your Grandmother Jo who is looking down on you and smiling, and saying to herself - "that's my little girl!" My the Good Lord continue to Bless you and guide, protect and help you to accomplish the extraordinary ideals and goals you have set for yourself. You have a wonderful and loving Mother and Father, and a great Grand Father. Many of us who knew and loved them before you ever came into this world. It is so refreshing to those of us who don't have "as many "suppers" ahead of us as we have had behind us" to know that our country and this world will be in good hands with young people like you "who will make a difference," not only in their own lives, but also in the lives of so many others. May God continue to Bless you and keep you in the palm of His hand as you continue to grow in your faith and love for God, Country, and those who are less fortunate than you. We love you and we will continue to follow you and your sister in what ever and where ever your dreams will take you. You are one of "God's chosen children," and never forget that! We love your Blog, too!
    With lots of Love and Best Wishes,
    Bob & Harriet Ramsey (who remember when your Mom was born, and when your Grand Dad and Grand Mother were "almost teen agers!).

    ReplyDelete