How wonderful to be in the hands of the living God. It is the adventure of a lifetime! ~Corrie Ten Boom

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Living Worship

Disclaimer: I wrote this blog on Sunday night, before the tragedy and heartbreak of Monday. I am trying to find the words to explain what I am feeling but right now but silent reflection and prayer has been the best healing for me. My school has had two student suicides in a week and this is the fourth teen suicide in my hometown in just four months. The suicide that happened last week broke my heart but the suicide that happened yesterday broke me. The girl was a childhood friend who I have played sports with since I was 7 and went to middle school with. I have been praying John 1:4-5 (“In Him was Life, and the Life was the Light of men. And the Light shines on in the darkness, for the darkness has never overpowered it”) over me and my school and it has been helping. If you could pray this too that would be incredible. Thank you. Love and Blessings, Heidi

*       *       *       *

I am the rush of warm air from the lips of the worshiping soul. I fill the space between consonants and roll underneath the vowels of the sacred transaction between man and God. My presence separates thoughts from sounds.
I am the breath of worship.
I am more than words.
Of all the work I am given to do, none is as sweet as to carry words of love into the very ears of God. I escape the worshiper and fly straight into the heavens. Happy is the breath that finds purpose in bringing worship to God
~Enter the Worship Circle by Ben Pasley
I have been meditating on worship lately, especially on the idea of living my worship. I just re-read for the third time one of my favorite books: Enter the Worship Circle (highly recommend this book! (You can buy it online for $4.99 on www.entertheworshipcircle.com/store what a steal!!!) At the same time I am reading a new book that one of my worship leader friends (its funny how the minute you become an “official” worship leader it’s like you join some sacred club) anyways, the book is called The Heart of the Artist by Rory Noland. I am about half way through it and it is very thought provoking and is encouraging me to be the best worship leader I can be, both in my music through cultivating my gifts and pursing God.


The past five months or so, it seems like all I have been doing is leading worship in different contexts and with many different believers and at the same time studying worship. So…I thought I would start a mini blog series on Worship and share what God has been teaching me through the Bible, other books, and my own personal experiences.
Worship is a lifestyle. Kim Walker, who is a worship leader, songwriter, and one of the singers in Jesus Culture, said this about worship…


“Worship is not music, worship is not songs, those are expressions of worship. Worship is our connection to God”


Music is a glorious gift. A piece of heaven. I love reading Revelations and thinking about the day when we will worship and praise God in His throne room for ALL eternity. I cannot wait. However, here on earth, we will never be known as a worshiper if it’s just in songs. Worshipers are seen through there life, deeds, attitudes, and service to others.


Therefore, let us offer through Jesus a continual sacrifice of praise to God, proclaiming our allegiance to his name. And don’t forget to do good and to share with those in need. These are the sacrifices that please God ~Hebrews 13:16


We sing songs, go deep into the presence of God, and receive encouragement and inspiration to keep running the great race, to accomplish our mission. The mission is to take Jesus to the streets, to live out the Great Commission (Matthew 28:16-20). But worship is not that we plug into Jesus then unplug for our daily lives and become completely empty and “recharge” again the following week. No, no, NO! We must constantly be connected to our Savior. Constantly be in a state of worshiping and offering all we have and letting God fill us up with His incredible love, power, and strength and providing us with all the resources of Heaven to accomplish our mission on earth.
What would worship be like if everyone came already connected to God? How deep into God’s love and presence could the Body of Christ go if we saw worship as a sacrifice offering of praise? What if we came to worship with a deep desire to want more and more of Jesus Christ? What if we, as believers, fought all week to keep our connection to God? What if we saw Saturday or Sunday’s worship as a time to strengthen the connection that we already have; not to reconnect?


God pours out so much to His beloved children. Worship is this incredible moment where we, as weak, sinful humans, can come before God and pour out all that we are in praise to Him. Only the precious blood of Jesus Christ washes us to make us able to come before God in such a way. Worthy is the Lamb who was slain! Holy, Holy is He!! (Yes, I LOVE Revelation Song—it’s my favorite worship song if you haven’t picked that up yet)
I have been praying over a few scriptures to find a good personal worship ministry verse. Something that would reflect my passion and keep my heart focused on why I lead worship. To remind myself that my passions for leading worship is not to build up my own kingdom but to advance the Kingdom of God. I want to keep growing spiritually and artistically. I want to be who I say I am. I want to live what I sing about everything weekend. One thing I have learned in my 3 years of being apart of worship ministry is that your character will be tested, challenged, and stretched, like never before.


Give praise to the LORD, proclaim his name;
make known among the nations what he has done.
Sing to him, sing praise to him;
tell of all his wonderful acts.
Glory in his holy name;
let the hearts of those who seek the LORD rejoice.
Look to the LORD and his strength;
seek his face always.
~Psalm 105:1-4


I ended up choosing Psalm 105 as my worship ministry verse. I have memorized it and repeat it to myself before and after I lead worship, when I am picking worship songs, when I have to deal with difficult people, or when my character is being tested. I hope that convinces you to pick your own ministry verse. Whether your ministry is worship, pastoral, children, youth, women, outdoor, homeless, etc…I think it is a good idea to start praying about what your ministry verse is.

No comments:

Post a Comment